Remem­ber when I said this?

“Rest assured that Chronil­log­i­cal has a future. … The strip has cer­tainly had ample time to die by now, if it were des­tined to die!” [Source]

I did not know it at the time, but that turned out to be a lie. Oops!

After three years, maybe 150 comics or so, blah blah blah, everyone’s heard this story before. In short, we lost inter­est, and now we are giving up (per­haps more accu­rately, we gave up a while ago, and are now owning up to it). We cer­tainly didn’t set out to dis­ap­point any­body, but it’s prob­a­bly best to stop and move on instead of plod­ding ahead with some­thing that just doesn’t have the same mean­ing it used to (for us, anyway). Right? That’s what I tell myself.*

So, as a send-​off, let’s remem­ber the good times as I link to some of my favorite comics that we’ve done:

The Most Impor­tant Moment in His­tory (1 of 2)
Good Work Indeed
Brown Brown Brown
The Winter strips with Mr. Skele­ton are all pretty good: [1] [2] [3]
And finally, Civil Dis­course Man

So, to the long-​haulers, thank you for read­ing! To those who just stopped by for a laugh or two, thank you for read­ing as well. To those who dared to share yet another web­comic with a friend, thank you twice. Thank you all. And be excel­lent to each other.

* Greg and I have gotten accus­tomed to this comic-​making thing, though, and we are play­ing around with some new ideas behind the scenes—ideas that are SO FRIGHT­EN­INGLY PRE­LIM­I­NARY, it would be fool­ish of us to go around making grand announce­ments about them right now. If and when they come to fruition, we’ll figure out a way to tell you. Announce­ments will appear here, I’m sure, and prob­a­bly on Twit­ter, and maybe Face­book, and maybe Tumblr too.

1. John Conor says:

Boo! Hiss! Put on the time trav­el­ers!

2. Colin says:

Sorry to see it’s offi­cial. I really enjoyed read­ing Chronil­log­i­cal and was admit­tedly hold­ing out hope that you guys would get back to it.

Anyway, thanks for the laughs! I look for­ward to the next thing that grabs your inter­est and ends up deposited some­where on the Inter­net.

3. Cliff says:

Aw. I think I knew, in my heart of hearts, but I didn’t want it to be true.

4. Dranorter says:

Oh man!

[Reply]

When you come up with a new web­comic I want to be the first to know.

6. Pomp says:

Shake-shake-shake-a-fist!
    I guess you did what you could – if the flair isn’t there, it just becomes dead. You did what you could, and we couldn’t ask more from you than that. Salutes all round and good luck for your comics in future!

[Reply]

Now’s the time to stabbity-stabbity-stab-stab-stab! Nah, just kid­ding. Things happen, people have to move on with their lives. Maybe you’ll want to come back to it later, but no promises.

8. Amy says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I love this comic. I even shared it with my one friend who’s a physic major. Now we’ll never know where (or more accu­rately when) Donly sent them. :(

[Reply]

Thanks for the kind words, folks. We really do appre­ci­ate it!

We’ll keep the site up, and who knows, we might return to the strip one of these days. But we fig­ured it was only fair to our read­ers to be up front about it and not string anyone along with promises we aren’t keep­ing.

If you keep us on your RSS, we’ll let you know about any new strips or projects John and I are work­ing on.

10. Cesar says:

Damn! i really wanted to know what hap­pened next… actu­ally i loved this comic so much that i read it all in a couple of days, well it has been six months since anyone dropped a com­men­tary so i guess this project is pretty much dead, thanks for all the laughs!!!

11. Dood from da future says:

Yo, I came from 2013 to say sadly this is no longer exist­ing. Sorry pals. Also, world doesn’t end in 2012.

12. Zealot says:

I’m from 2015. World sucks. Also the world -doesn’t- end in 2012, yes, but they make a movie of it… and yeah. Pfft.

Comment ¬