Troy Story

And so, after a bit of an absence, we see how Cas­san­dra is feel­ing these days: not so great! Easy to see why, I’d say, not that such an obser­va­tion com­forts any­body, so why bring it up, I don’t know it’s just the first thing that came to mind thank you very much and how are we all doing this evening yes I’ll just have the fish please.

I think per­haps that the ruins at Troy as depicted in this comic are entirely too tidy and could use a lot more rubble scat­tered about. C’est la vie! Or, as the French say: mangez un œuf, mon petit cha­peau, tandis que je chante la chan­son des tempêtes. Crois­sant.

1. I’m sur­prised Roy said, “utterly decimated.”

(After con­sult­ing the dic­tio­nary) Ah. Well.

Now I feel stupid.

3. beta ray steve says:

Those French! They have a word for every­thing!

4. COlin says:

Yeah, I think the same thing when it’s used that way, but it is the normal usage now. I think I learned the orig­i­nal def­i­n­i­tion from a Dinosaur Comic a year or two ago. The old def­i­n­i­tion, inci­den­tally, has been com­pletely dec­i­mated.

If you con­sulted the dic­tio­nary, didn’t you see this?

“4b. rhetor­i­cally or loosely. To destroy or remove a large pro­por­tion of; to sub­ject to severe loss, slaugh­ter, or mortality.”

But Joe makes a good point: Roy clearly has pre­scrip­tivist lean­ings. Per­haps we can for­give him for this little slip, an odd lacuna?

Roy cer­tainly knows how to cheer her up–NOT! Per­haps he should take her to Dis­ney­land instead?

7. Pops says:

Could also take her to a movie. There have been a few which described the Trojan Wars, and it would give her the oppor­tu­nity to cri­tique any mis­per­cep­tions that cur­rently exist about the par­ties to the con­flict.