Hello!

If you stretch your memory waaaaay back, you might remem­ber there exist­ing once upon a time a silly little comic called Chronil­log­i­cal. Depend­ing on how strong your memory is, and specif­i­cally whether or not your brain is the sort of brain that inter­mit­tently cleans house, dust­ing away those mnemonic motes that cease­lessly and sub­con­sciously accrue: pass­ing thoughts of pass­ing people, of places, of things—perhaps that fellow you spent all night talk­ing to at last year’s New Year’s Eve party, or that strik­ing woman who sat next to you on the bus on an oth­er­wise dismal Novem­ber day, or any of the other count­less indi­vid­u­als that chaot­i­cally float into your life and are ejected just as hap­haz­ardly past­wards, the rocket fuel pro­ject­ing you into tomorrow—which indi­vid­u­als have exactly zero rel­e­vance to your day-to-day, month-to-month, or year-to-year oper­a­tions, and among which indi­vid­u­als we can now include, with the advent of this brave new inter­net age, those half-​substantial beings who exist some­where across the ether, at the other end of an inter­minable wire strung deep beneath the land (or sea) (or bypass­ing the wire alto­gether and going via satel­lite, quite lit­er­ally through the ether, if there were actu­ally any ether out there to be literal)—because let’s be honest, as bal­ly­hooed as this wave of social media is, there’s still noth­ing quite like star­ing another human being in the eye and affirm­ing that yes, by gum, they do exist, and so do I, and here we are in the real honest-to-goodness phys­i­cal uni­verse, and if I wanted to shut this other person up I could per­fectly well do so, per­haps devi­ate his septum with a well-​planted fist, or a knee to the groin that he would cer­tainly never see coming (the knee, that is, not the groin); depend­ing on how strong your memory is, you might not remem­ber me, Greg Poulos, co-​creator of the afore­men­tioned comic strip.

You may be more inclined to remem­ber John Chouinard, Chronillogical’s other co-​creator, my co-​conspirator and gen­eral guy-I-do-things-with-on-occasion.

Anyway, long story short (too late!): John and I are start­ing up Chronil­log­i­cal again!

*crick­ets*

Well, we’re excited about it anyway.

We’ve been mean­ing to bring Chronil­log­i­cal back for a while now, but we didn’t want to announce any­thing until we had finally gotten some new strips under­way. Well: we have finally got some new strips under­way! We have some new scripts writ­ten (taking off from exactly where we left off the story) and John will be draw­ing them this week. He may even be draw­ing them as we speak1!

Full dis­clo­sure: John and I are kind of eager to wrap up the Troy sto­ry­line and start trying out some new ideas. As a result, you might notice things moving along faster than pre­vi­ously. That said, aside from the (hope­fully) quick­ened pace, the rest of the Troy sto­ry­line will be pre­sented in much the same format as what we’ve done so far.

Once Troy is over, how­ever, we reserve the right to start play­ing around a bit more with form, tone, and per­haps even (gasp!) the update sched­ule. Ulti­mately, we’re hoping to free our­selves from some of the more unpleas­ant stric­tures of plot so that we can actu­ally mine the full poten­tial of our time travel con­ceit.

Suc­cinctly: We want to make the strip more fun for you to read, and more fun for us to write.

But that’s a little ways away, and we can cross those bridges when we come to them. Let’s presently refo­cus our atten­tions to the more imme­di­ate future, shall we?

Back before we went on hiatus, John and I didn’t really have much in the way of a buffer of strips. We (gen­er­ally) man­aged, thanks to copi­ous amounts of flex­i­ble free time. In the interim, that free time has sat out in the sun a bit too long, dried up a bit, become a smidge more rigid. As a result, John and I are think­ing about prepar­ing a buffer of 6–10 strips.

That would, how­ever, post­pone the re-​launch of Chronil­log­i­cal by sev­eral weeks. Which brings me to the true pur­pose of this far-too-lengthy post: we want to hear what you want, dear read­ers. Are you so parched of comics that even an extra week of wait­ing would be dis­as­trous to your health and sanity? Should we there­fore release what may only be an ini­tial trickle; or, are you will­ing to extend the cur­rent drought a few weeks longer for the promise of a more sus­tained stream—indeed, per­haps even a river?

More directly, with­out my stupid metaphors: Do you want John and me to start updat­ing ASAP, run­ning a higher risk of miss­ing the occa­sional update? Or should wait till we’ve built up a buffer (prob­a­bly by mid-​April) so we can better guar­an­tee con­sis­tent updates? Please let us know!

How­ever we even­tu­ally decide to roll this out, rest assured that John and I are super-​psyched to hang­ing out with Milo, Jen, Roy, and all our read­ers once more. We’re sin­cerely sorry for leav­ing every­thing hang­ing for the past few months—but ulti­mately, we both agree that the hiatus was the best thing for our­selves and the strip. With this break over, we’re hoping that Chronil­log­i­cal will return better than ever before!

Here’s to… the FUTURE!

(Get it?)

(The FUTURE?)

(‘Cause it’s a strip about TIME TRAVEL?)

(Yeah, you know you missed this.)

1 Unlikely.

1. Yappy Dog says:

Ah, glad to see you’re back! Per­son­ally, I’d be happy with giving you guys the extra time to build up a buffer. If you ran out of strips and free time, we’d be back to the sit­u­a­tion we just had – more stress for you, less comedy for us. At least with a 10-comic buffer, you’ve got a couple of weeks of safety before the updates cause prob­lems.

2. Colin says:

Fre­quent, infre­quent, sooner, later, just bring it back! I miss Chronil­log­i­cal.

3. Mike says:

Con­grat­u­la­tions Greg and John.

4. AndyW says:

I’d say, build up a buffer. We can wait a few more days 🙂

5. cliff says:

the word buffer looks like the word buffet to me.

also, I sug­gest you heartily stock your buffet before invit­ing people to dine.

6. Brady Kj says:

Well, 10 pages sounds a bit exces­sive. I’d launch it as soon as I got 5 pages if I were you.

7. Daniel says:

I say to just show them as you make them. Who cares about sched­ule?
    As Colin said, just bring it back

8. expattx says:

I’m glad to hear that you guys are back and that the story will con­tinue. I’m quite happy to wait for you to build up a buffer. In the long term I think that will make it a better comic for all of us. Thanks and wel­come back

9. Orceiacum says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!~

Life is worth living again! Gad­zooks!

10. jtbandes says:

Hooray! Chronil­log­i­cal is back! Or… has it been back already for a while? (Get it? It’s a strip about TIME TRAVEL?)

By all means build up a buffer if you need to (for such pur­poses as story-thinking-up-and-testing). But per­son­ally I find it to be more fun when web­comic artists are giving real-​time feed­back and dis­cus­sions (e.g. Twit­ter or blog posts) as they’re work­ing on comics, rather than being all secre­tive and “oh man we’ve got some­thing really great too bad you’ll have to wait a week to see it”.

Also, I have another CSS request (I’ll bet you wish I would just shut up already). Please get rid of the overflow:hidden on #column, as it cuts off horizontally-​long com­ments like Orceiacum’s up there, at least in Safari, and it hides the edge of text fields (such as this com­ment box into which I am typing) when I make them wider. (To coun­ter­act the removal of overflow:hidden you may need to add a clear­ing div at the end of #column’s con­tent, but I don’t think it’s caus­ing any prob­lems with­out it.) I’d rather have crazy long things over­flow­ing the edge of the page than not being able to see them! Just my 2¢, except more like $2.

Hey, thanks every­one for the kind words! Not gonna lie, it’s grat­i­fy­ing to see that people are still inter­ested in the strip 🙂

Thanks for the feed­back! It sounds like people are gen­er­ally okay with wait­ing a bit for us to work on some kind of buffer—but it also seems like 10 might be a bit on the exces­sive side. I’ll make a post soon with some more specifics about our return sched­ule, but quickly I can say that it looks like we’ll aim for a buffer of five or six strips and try to get restarted some­time in the ear­lier part of April. Hooray!

@jtban­des: You should now be able to quan­tify Orceiacum’s excite­ment down to the exact number of As and Hs. There’s even a sur­prise bit of punc­tu­a­tion at the end!

12. Kyle says:

Huzzah! The return of the comic cometh!

It would appear my absence has been far too lengthy as of late, as I have missed a won­der­ful piece of news. Please, by all means, build a buffer. Our wait has been long, this much is true, but to trade a longer absence of time trav­el­ing humor for con­sis­tency and punc­tu­al­ity of updat­ing is well worth the painful sen­sa­tion of patience.

Of the many comics which I have come across in my trav­els through the realm of the inter­net, this comic was one of the first ones I added to my meager col­lec­tion of favorites and one of the few of which I paid visit to on a reg­u­lar sched­ule. The ban­ish­ment of the grim reaper from this comic is a glo­ri­ous sight, and I am most appre­cia­tive to the van­quish­ers!

Sin­cerely,
    Me

What’s wrong with post­ing, say, on a once a week sched­ule? Or even once every two weeks? It’ll take longer to build up the buffer, but we won’t have to wait so long for new strips.

14. Gary says:

All I can say is “Wooooooooooooooo!”