Bright Ideas, Part 2

Every bulb is rigged with a spe­cial chip that explodes if you try to repair it. This is to sym­bol­ize “the awe­some­ness of explo­sions”.

1. Colin says:

I love Milo’s face as he says “Nope! Last one.” Kudos John.

Also I’m curi­ous to know just how the bulb was incor­po­rated. Will that be elu­ci­dated? Maybe they need it as a vari­able resis­tor? Per­haps specif­i­cally the black­body radi­a­tion curve of tung­sten at a cer­tain tem­per­a­ture?

2. Gary says:

Tech­ni­cally you could just reroute the cir­cuit so that it did not include the lightbulb/socket. Not really that hard to do. :)

3. Hey! You over there. says:

I would think that ‘fundamentally incorporated’ means that rerout­ing the cir­cuit would be more like rebuild­ing the whole machine.
    LOL that’s the kind of cor­po­ra­tion that knows how to handle it’s PR.

4. Theplayer131 says:

Could they just use any light­bulb to replace the burned out one, or do they ab-so-lu-tly need “Spivak bulb and socket”?

Also, if their cus­tomers find out that they were fooled by those quickly burn­ing bulbs, I guess the com­pany would lose one hel­luva of them! Not the most intel­li­gent idea after all! 😛

John and I were con­sid­er­ing doing another strip about the bulb, but we decided to move for­ward with other stuff. Instead, I’ll attempt to answer your ques­tions here!

@Gary: Hey! You over there. has got it: they can’t just bypass the bulb because it really is a fun­da­men­tal com­po­nent of the machin­ery.

@Theplayer131: Spivak Bulb and Socket spe­cially designed the bulb for use in the CHRONOS project. To repair the machine, they need a Spivak Time Lord Series™ bulb. Depend­ing on where they are, it may be tricky to come across.

@Colin: Umm… yes! Both of those things!

6. PlantPerson says:

This kind of reminds me of some­thing my dad has told me about. When he was young, the power com­pa­nies were still encour­ag­ing people to use more elec­tric­ity(!). They pro­duced a kit to build your own desk lamp, which was spe­cially designed so that it could only accept 100W bulbs.